Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Crunch time!

So it is crunch time -- closing day on the new house is just 2 days away, and the big move is 3 days away.

After 11 days away in Nova Scotia, we made the insane decision to head straight from the airport up to the family cottage, so that we could enjoy one night there before all the chaos ensues.  All my family was up there, and there was a cousin's birthday dinner to enjoy as well, and since it was the Civic Holiday long weekend, it seemed like the only logical place to be....

...except that now, 3 days before the move, I don't have much to show for as far as packed boxes go.  Thankfully, my Mom is coming over tomorrow to help me out!

But I think it's time for an update on where we stand on various fronts:

I had left for holiday feeling quite pleased that the mortgage was finalized.  Upon arrival back home this Tuesday, I received a note from our banker, telling us that she had tracked the interest rates just in case there was one last chance for another drop before our closing date.  Although there was no further drop, I was happy with our final rate of 3.99% and appreciated her thoroughness and follow-through.

And then -- she surprised me with a call today and told me that the rate dropped again!!!  This time to 3.89%!  It was JUST in the nick of time.  Apparently if your lawyer was moving any quicker, it probably wouldn't have been doable to update the rate in our files.  But she succeeded, even with a broken-down computer - it sounds like she really put the rush on for us, and I don't even know where to begin thanking her.

The condo's rate stays at 3.99%, because it went into effect on August 1st, but we are all set with this incredibly low rate at the new house!

So I re-posted all the rental ads last week while we were still away, and dropped the rent by $50.  I had had tons of interest at the previous rate, but not a lot of follow-through.  I had also had one couple offer to lease the place, but only for 4 months.  I decided that that would be less than ideal, since I would then be trying to find new tenants around Christmas time, and in the ugly winter months.  The condo holds much more appeal in the summer, due to the big windows, private patio, and BBQ.  So I declined that offer.

Immediately after re-posting the ads, we got tons more interest, and lots of requests to view the condo over the weekend.... poor planning on my part, since we were still away.  But I was able to defer most of the appointments until today, and a number of potentials were screened out without even having to meet them.  So today I had three separate people through:

  1. The first was a pretty good candidate, with one exception - she has a bulldog, and I was trying to take a no-pets stance.  I don't feel good eliminating her yet, since otherwise, she seems like a suitable fit.

  2. He came in ranting about Toronto traffic, and immediately opened my microwave, fridge, and dishwasher.  Didn't step into the bedroom or bathroom.  Told me the condo was a bit smaller than what he was looking for, but that I look like Jennifer Connolly, and thanked me and left....

  3. A couple, who phoned first and sounded like they'd lost interest before they even got here.  But once they got here I think all 3 of us felt they were a good fit, and they admitted they were pleasantly surprised, as they had expected something different, based on what they've seen already in the area.  I have sent them a rental application and credit check release form, and I am now hoping for the best!!

If we can get this condo rented before Saturday, then we will be able to move all the furniture into the new house and really get ourselves settled.  But we've agreed that if the condo isn't rented by then, then we'll have to leave the furniture here since it really makes it a lot easier for potential tenants to envision themselves here.

So here is hoping for an all-in-one move on Saturday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment