Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The First Post-Move Post!

Okay, I know, I have been a VERY negligent blogger!  I have been so overstimulated by the move, that I wouldn't even know where to begin with blog posts over the past few weeks.  Such an eventful few weeks.  I will try to give a very quick summary of the goings-on, and the hopefully get back into the full swing of things over the coming days!

Tenant: Well, after the last post I thought the couple would take the place for sure. We communicated back and forth many times, and I sent them the lease application.  Then, after about 4 days of vague emails from them, they told me they had learned that they can stay in their current place after all, and thus, I was back to square one.  Keep in mind, that at that point I was 3 days away from closing on the new house, and was now buried in boxes and newspaper and bubble wrap.  There was nothing nice about the appearance of the condo.  I decided I had no choice but to keep packing, and would have to do any future showings with an empty condo.  It wasn't ideal in my opinion; because of the size of the condo, I felt basic furniture is necessary to illustrate what fits and how spacious it can actually feel.  Anyway, as luck would have it, a few days after officially moving out, another potential tenant asked to see it, and when I said "I'm sorry, it feels a bit sad since it's empty", the prospective tenant responded with "I see it as opportunity".  Hooray, it's leased!!  The references have been checked, the papers signed, and the deposit is in the bank.

New house: I LOVE our new house.  I mean I really, really admire it!  Most days, I find myself telling Matt how much I love it.  Once, I caught him sitting on the couch in the living room, and just looking around taking it all in, and he said "our house is HUGE!".  Now, I have to tell you - this is just a tiny little 2-bedroom bungalow, with a very simple layout.  But in comparison to the condos we were living in, we've got places to eat, a whole room in the basement just dedicated to TV watching, a "guest room" (room in the basement big enough for a bed), an office, a storage room, a tool area, and a whole laundry area with space to put up an ironing board and a drying rack (no stackable washer/dryer for us anymore!).  Add to that a (somewhat rickety, but still invaluable) garage, a driveway long enough for at least 3 cars, and a very spacious backyard, and we are in heaven!!!!  And all just a few minutes from downtown!  I can still take the streetcar to work and now I actually get a seat.

Condo: Tomorrow night I am having the condo painted with an eggshell finish (rather than the flat builders' paint that I've had on the walls since I moved in.... you'd think I would have chosen something nicer after 5 years?), so that it can be wiped and cleaned easier.  We could have painted it ourselves, but  as far as I understand, this cost can be written off, and I am SO happy to not have to worry about edging and taping, and the stress I cause myself by not being as good of a painter as I wish I was!

I've got tons more I can update on, but I will ease back into it.  I can't even begin to summarize all that I've already learned as a homeowner, so I'll save that for it's own post, tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment