Thursday, September 23, 2010

Keeping cool

I am totally sensing a theme in all our home issues lately.  I seem to have a complete inability to measure anything correctly.  This comes as a shock to me, since for one thing, I majored in Math & Stats in university.  And for another thing, I have two parents who are actually obsessed with measuring and levelling things.  I know, weird, right?

So why is it, that the new fridge didn't fit when it was delivered?

Maybe it's just that I'm tired lately.  Because technically the fridge DOES fit.  But only after some adjustments.  Last week, when Matt and I went fridge shopping, I quickly jotted down the dimensions of the spot that the fridge fits into.  It was only after the too-large fridge was delivered, that I realized I had measured from cabinet to wall - not accounting for the counter overhang, which evidently limits the space by about an inch:

The counter overhangs the cabinets by about an inch... limiting the opening for the fridge.  Note: this is the old fridge.
Luckily, Matt has a cousin who is a carpenter (and a very good one at that).  So after about a week with the new fridge in the middle of our kitchen, he came over and cut off that extra inch of overhang.  And our new, beautiful, super-cool (pun!) fridge fits into that space just perfectly. 
I love the new fridge!  It is a Samsung bottom-mount.  The food is now conveniently at eye-level.  The freezer is surprisingly spacious compared to some of the other bottom-mounts we looked at.  And this one is a little less deep than the old one, which makes the room feel bigger, and makes it easier to get into the tight little corner cabinet.

So I CAN measure... sort of...!

No comments:

Post a Comment