Friday, October 29, 2010

A moment of panic

I had my first moment of landlord panic this week.  I haven't really heard a peep from our tenant since the day that she moved in, and we hadn't yet agreed how subsequent month's rent would be paid (email money transfer, cheque, etc.).

So on Tuesday, I contacted her to find out how she would like to pay for November 1st.  I didn't hear back from her on Tuesday.  Nor did I hear from her on Wednesday.  On Thursday, I still hadn't heard from her.  Panic was definitely setting in.  Had she run off somewhere?  Was she avoiding answering me so as to avoid having to pay rent?   Had she decided to end the lease and is trying to decide how to break the news to me?  While taking the train home after work yesterday, I passed by the condo and noticed a huge looming black cloud hanging over the condo.   The sky was otherwise quite blue, but the dark cloud was ominous and was a sure sign of an impending storm.  I couldn't help but feel that the cloud was hanging over the condo as if to say "ooooh bad things are happening".  I let my imagination get the best of me for the next 24 hours.  And then tonight, as if all was normal (which it is), the tenant responded to say I'd receive an email transfer on or before the 1st.

I realized that the panic was all for naught.  But it is just my nature to worry about this sort of thing.  So I was VERY relieved to hear that we'd receive the money and that our tenant does not appear to be some sort of scam artist! 

Has anyone else had similar moments of panic where they wonder about their tenants or the state of their property?

No comments:

Post a Comment