Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Christmas tree that tells a story

Every year I am so inspired by the many beautiful Christmas trees I see in other people's houses, in stores, and on websites and blogs.  There are so many varying colour combinations, themes, and techniques used for decorating, that leave me totally in awe.

I spend a little time every year pondering whether I could do this in my own home.  But in the end, I always decide it's not for me.

My tree is a smorgsborg of ornaments collected over the years, a mismatch of old coloured lights, new LED lights, random bows and garlands, and just a general eclectic display of stuff.  I feel like if I replaced these with a new theme or colour combo, I would be missing out on all the tradition that my tree holds.  My tree tells a story.



On our recent trip to New York, we saw an exhibit at the Guggenheim by artist Maurizio Cattelan.  For lack of ability to explain it myself, I've copied a description from the Guggenheim's website:

"The exhibition brings together virtually everything the artist has produced since 1989 and presents the works en masse, strung seemingly haphazardly from the oculus of the Guggenheim’s rotunda. Perversely encapsulating Cattelan’s career to date in an overly literal, three-dimensional catalogue raisonn√©, the installation lampoons the idea of comprehensiveness."

As we circled the Guggenheim, our eyes were constantly finding something new to look at, and each piece of the exhibit contributed in a unique way to the overall artistic display and the story it tells. 



Not to get too deep and analytical about my Christmas tree, but I can't help but think it's a little bit similar! 



In some ways, the story told is a bit of a joke.  For instance, I have many ornaments, which I bought  on sale, and in bulk at drug stores and department stores the first year that I lived on my own.  My tree wasn't huge, but I had to fill it up!  The cheap plastic and glitter ornaments represent that early stage of my ownership, where quality is compromised and money is definitely an issue!  While I may someday phase a number of these out, I think a few token ones will have to remain as a reminder!



This was a gift from a friend, also during my first year living on my own.  It totally reminds me of what I thought it would be like to be a young, single girl living on her own - except I ended up meeting my husband ONE week after I moved in!  I wasn't single for long!



This one was a gift from my parents when I was a teenager.  It hung on their tree for years, but now has a home on my tree:


There are also a number of other ornaments on my tree that I stole from my parents' tree, which have been around since I was a little kid.


I also have a collection of balls similar to these, which my now-husband started buying the first year we were dating. Each has our names and the year on it.



This year, on our trip to New York, we bought two ornaments to remind us of our trip. I'll always remember that these are from the first year we were married.



As a whole, my tree is definitely not as stunning as so many others' I've seen.  But the beauty of the tree in my opinion, is that it tells a story, and reminds me of so many other Christmases and traditions over the years.  I can't wait to see what else accumulates in the years to come!

P.S. For more beautiful trees, check out the Link Party at Thrifty Decor Chick!

1 comment:

  1. I love the ornaments. Very nice personal tree

    ReplyDelete