Thursday, December 22, 2011

I can't believe I did it!

When I posted about Christmas crafts a few weeks ago, I really didn't think I'd get to any of them.

I'm happy to report that I've got a few finished products to show off!

First of all, I finished the yarn wreath that I never thought I'd finish.  It was really only a matter of gluing on the leafy/branch thing, but I did it, and I am happy with the outcome.  The funny thing is, I started it over a year ago, and at the time we hadn't yet wallpapered our dining room.  So I had no idea how close the colour scheme was to the wallpaper we put up in May.  It's almost like camouflage.



Next up, I created a whole slew of snow globes a-la-Anthropologie.  I had some delays on these, because I had to purchase new lids for all the jars (the lids that came with the jars said Classico all over them).  Also, I found that everything I put in the jar was hiding behind the neck of the jar.  It took me awhile to come up with a solution, but I eventually boosted the lids up in height with some corrugated cardboard covered in cotton batting.  I also used cardboard platforms to vary the heights and positioning of the trees.




I love the one that I created with the little fawn.



These jars look very sweet mixed with a few jars holding just tealight candles - it definitely gives it a magical, glistening appearance.



And one thing I'm most proud of, is the new stockings I made for Matt and I.  In-keeping with my current love for all things buffalo-plaid, I made one with the red buffalo plaid, and another with a white variation.


The cuffs are black velvet, they are lined with coordinating gingham, and I even figured out how to add cute pom-pom trim.  I am pretty proud of myself for starting AND finishing these so quickly, and it really warmed me up to my sewing machine too.  Now I can't wait to try more sewing projects!



And I should mention the napkins I was so determined to make:



I will admit.... there just happened to be a great sale on at the Bay, and for less than $2.50 each, I couldn't resist buying 8 of these plaid napkins... So okay, I cheated on these, but how great are they!?  They totally fit the bill.

So there you have it!  I didn't think this post would even exist.  Thanks to all you other crafty bloggers and "Pinners" who were so inspiring!

3 comments:

  1. OM flippin' G! Those snow globes are perfection, and the stockings are adorable! Bravo Mary!! Where did you find the trees and the fawn to put in the snow globes? I need to steal this idea next year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks julie!!! I was able to knock off so many snow globes in a short amount of time, it was so satisfying! I got the fawn from Michael's (in the kids' toy animal section), and the trees came in a pack of 20 for about $7 at Home Depot in the States. Michael's had the same package, but for about 3 times the price. But I bet at this time of year they'd be on clearance!

    I love my new stockings! Matt of course feels that they should be bigger, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think stockings should be too big. They are just a little sampler for the kids. Perhaps they should be relative to the size of the kid? Is Matt a big kid?

    The snow globes are great. Well done!

    ReplyDelete