Sunday, March 18, 2012

Feeling a little green today?

Last night we hosted a St. Patrick's Day party for our friends and family.  The last time St. Patrick's Day was on a Saturday was 2007, and we all went to the bar at 11:00 am to start with breakfast and stay all day.

We felt we might be getting a little old for that this time around, and also thought it would be nicer to have everyone over.  This way no one gets stuck in line, no one gets kicked out (I guess I shouldn't have ruled it out, but luckily it held true!), and people could come and go as they please - even those with young kids.

We had a GREAT time.  Matt and I cooked up an Irish stew in the morning, and had it simmering all day.  I decorated with a bunch of old shamrock garlands I'd had since university, along with some green Christmas lights, green dishes, green candies, green candle holders, etc.  Basically, anything I could find around the house that was green, was put to use!  We had green hats for everyone - even Elvis wore one!  And the rule was you had to wear green - and our guests all obliged quite willingly!

We set up a bar in the office, so that the living/dining room wouldn't get too crowded.  It helped to spread things out a bit.

Sadly, I don't have a ton of pictures of the decorating.... I guess I was having too much fun.  But here are a few detail shots of some of the highlights:


Those are MINT M&Ms!!  Has anyone else tried them?
They were AMAZING!  Found them at Target.
Now I need to make a trip back to the U.S. just to find those again!

Matt showed up with these about an hour before the guests arrived!

The green kettle was a wedding gift.

And of course it could be used to make...

Green Tea! 
Irish Flag made of vegetables

Guinness cupcake with Baileys icing made by my VERY talented friend!

Aren't they beautiful?

She made everything, even the shamrocks on top!
We had a really great time.  Some time around 3:00 am our living room was converted to a 1980's reggae dance hall and all the hangers-on were dancing.  We loved it though!   Thanks to everyone who made it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment