Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My Wishlist of Retailers

A few weeks ago, I posted about the new condo developments coming up in southeast Etobicoke, and how I hope they bring some promising new retailers to the area.

This area of the city is full of big name retailers - we're within a few minutes drive of Best Buy, Future Shop, IKEA, Kitchen Stuff Plus, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc. 

So what is missing?  I think local/independent retailers make a huge difference in creating a community feeling, and in defining the area as a neighbourhood. 

Keeping in mind the demographics of the surrounding neighbourhoods, I've created a wishlist of the types of retailers that I think would be welcome in the area.  I've also provided examples of these types of retailers that have been successful in other neighbourhoods around the city:

Many of these retailers took the risk and ventured into "up & coming" areas, and stuck it out while the areas really took off.  If only some of them would venture towards The Queensway and Lake Shore Blvd West, and provide us with some great local shopping & eating!

Don't get me wrong, there are already a whole slew of fantastic retailers in the area.  Among the businesses that have thrived are:
I would love to hear from some of the neighbours - what are your favourite retailers in the area?  What else would you like to see come to the neighbourhood? 

(* Yes, I'm still calling it "The Beaches" and haven't yet adapted to the new official "The Beach".... sorry, it's years of habit, and a bit of stubbornness)

No comments:

Post a Comment