Monday, December 17, 2012

What to do with all those Christmas cards

I LOVE Christmas cards.  I admit that the primary reason that I send them out myself, is so that I will get some back in return.  There's nothing quite as nice as coming home to a mailbox filled with mail other than bills!

But it does beg the question - what do you do with all of those cards at the end of the season?

I tend to keep some of the more personal cards - especially the photo cards, and the ones with personal notes written in them.  But I also get a lot that are simply signed by the sender, sometimes without so much as my name written in them.  I have no problem getting rid of those.  But instead of tossing them in the recycling bin, I put them to use.  They are the cards that keep on giving!

Before our wedding, we purchased a round Fiskars Squeeze Punch so that we could make round labels for all our wedding favours.  The punch we purchased was 1.5", but any size bigger than that would be useful too.  That circular punch was one of the best purchases I ever made!  I get so much use out of it.

So after Christmas, I take all the cards that I'm about to discard, and search for any spot on the card with a pretty design, pattern, or mini picture, and I punch it out!

Excuse the awful lighting....  The words "natural daylight" have not existed in Toronto lately.



Then I use a regular punch to add a hole to that cut-out, and ta-da!  Instant labels for next year's Christmas gifts!!







It's SUCH an easy task.  I do it while I watch TV.   You could also punch tags out of old gift bags that are too banged up to use as bags, and with birthday cards and other note cards for use at other occasions.  You'd be surprised what looks good in a little 1.5" diameter circle!



So there you have it!  No need to discard Christmas cards in a few weeks.  Waste not, want not!

No comments:

Post a Comment