Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Building Bridges

Pigeons creep me out.  Far more than I can explain.  Seriously, they are like flying rats, no?

So any area with a multitude of pigeons is pretty much my worst nightmare.

In order to get to the waterfront from our part of the neighbourhood, I often walk down Park Lawn Road, which requires me to walk under not one, but 2 large bridges (one being the Gardiner Expressway, the other being the railway tracks).   The former is a very tall underpass.  And waaaaay up there, sitting perched in the beams, are a gazillion dirty pigeons.



I literally RUN from along the sidewalk to get out the other end of this underpass as quickly as possible.  It just gives me the heeby jeebies.


The sidewalk is covered with feathers, bird poop, and often - the biggest nightmare of all - dead pigeons!  I have no idea why, but I've seen them often enough to know it happens frequently.


So while I may be wimpier than the general population, I do think this is disgusting for anyone and everyone to have to walk through.  And it's actually a bit of a deterrent for walking to/from the waterfront.  In a city where access to the waterfront is already an issue, I feel that every effort to open the city up to the waterfront should be made.

So anyway, recently I was walking through Leslieville/Riverdale, and came across this bridge underpass:


And I had no issue walking under it!   See why?


Over the sidewalk, the ceiling (? is that what you would call it?) is smooth, with nowhere for pigeons to land.  The beams are still exposed above where the cars go, giving birds and other critters plenty of space to live happily, while leaving pedestrians alone!



I can't tell you how much I wish the bridge in my end of town was like this!  I would be walking that way waaaay more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment