After being in the house for a year though, it's amazing how many things I've said I'd like to fix, improve, or change. I decided to put it all into a list, and I can't believe how extensive the list is. Since we don't plan on being in this house forever, this list is a bit out of control.
But nonetheless, I thought I'd post it here, and see how the list evolves over the course of the time we are in the house!
And here I present to you, my
"Honey Do, and Other Wishes for Our Home" List!
- Vent fan to outside, rather than attic
- Vent hood fan to outside
- If I was really dreaming big, I would replace the cabinets, counter-top, and backsplash…. Not likely to happen since what we have is very passable.
- Fix the faucet, which drips non-stop
- Hang art and/or paint/wallpaper the feature wall. -- DONE!
- Populate it a bit! With seating, a coffee table, side tables, lamps, etc.... -- DONE!
- Get a new little table for the tiny TV.
- New bed - something with an upholstered headboard to soften the room a bit.
- I'd love to find two old wooden night tables and paint them a fresh clean white.
- Fix the art situation - we currently have an IKEA print hanging randomly over our bed. There are also two screws popping out of the opposite wall where the previous owners hung a huge mirror. We need to either get rid of the screws or put them to use!
- Create a built-in office area in the TV/Family Room -- in progress...
- Have more electrical outlets installed near the future desk area
- Hide the laundry area
- Figure out how to fix the leaky sink in the bathroom
- Reverse the hot and cold on the laundry tub so that they are correct! No more scalding hands!
- Replace some of the rotting wood siding
- Sand and repaint? This is something our inspector suggested that we do every few years...!?
- Add some better storage & shelving along the back wall
- Fix the askew window
- Privatize the fence a bit - either with an entirely new fence, or even just some tall trellises or privacy screens. Currently chain-link fence exposes us to 5 different neighbours' yards.
- Plant a peony plant
- Find a way to spotlight our huge, beautiful maple tree.
Front of the house
- New mailbox
- New railings
- I sort of like the idea of widening our front porch so that it's big enough to hold a Muskoka chair... I love sitting outside and reading after dinner in the summer!
- The step from the front porch into our house is quite high. If we ever had to redo our porch, I would have the steps evened out better.